It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Walking
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:09 pm 
Just back from the island and did quite a bit of walking.

Around Betancuria is really green at the moment -definitely worth a trip.

Post subject: Re: Walking
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:05 am 

A French tourist was recently rescued by helicopter and taken to the hospital in Puerto del Rosario after falling from the path on Pico de la Zarza and injuring their leg. :cry:

It goes without saying to be careful when heading out on walks, and to not only take food/snacks, water, suncream and suitable clothing but a small first aid kit in your pack too.

If you are heading out alone, let someone know where you are going.

Safe hiking :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:59 am 

I hope that person was OK. Nothing worse than getting an injury when you're out walking, especially if you're alone. :cry:

I've been looking at walking down in the south on the Jandia Penninsula as it looks like theres some great walks there. The Gran Valle to Cofete for one, along with the coastline section of the GR131 from Costa Calma south, following Sotavento, Mal Nombre etc.... Is there a guide I can buy with information about the GR131, or a website or something that I can use to guide me, as I don't just like to the look of simply following the marks painted onto rocks etc.....

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:19 am 

Just wondering if anyone can help with this wee question:

If I'm planning on doing a few walks, do I need travel insurance or would my EHIC card cover me?

After reading this thread, I would hope I have more luck than this poor person, but....if some accident were to happen, am I covered with my EHIC card, or would I be presented with a rather hefty bill to pay for rescue and medical treatment? :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:

T.I.A.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

Your EHIC card should cover you, but I always recommend travel insurance, as you never know.

If you are pretty sporty and like water sports and other activities, then it's always worth ensuring that you are covered for most eventualities.

Large bills are not uncommon, but only because many people attend a private doctor rather than visit the local hospital. If you are referred by a private doctor, then you may very well end up being presented with a large bill during or after your treatment. Also bear in mind, that your EHIC card covers you for the same treatment that a local gets in that country - i.e in Spain, if you have to pay for certain medication as a resident, then you would be expected to pay the same, regardless of whether you get it for free or discounted back home.

I hope you enjoy your walking trip. Try Pico de la Zarza, stunning views over to Cofete.