It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carnival and Festivals in Morro Jable and the south
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 pm 

Hi all,

Having lived in Lanzarote for many years, we always had a fantastic experience of the Playa Blanca Carnival each year and thoroughly looked forward to this massive fiesta.

Only this year did we attend our first Morro Jable Carnival and were slightly underwhelmed. I can´t really say why, and perhaps we didn´t stay late enough, but we did hear a number of people saying that they always come to carnival but much prefer the Romeria to Cofete in comparison......

Can anyone add to this? What is the Romeria like can you give me any more info on it please? I have walked to and from Cofete, so have no issue with the journey...was just hoping for someones comments or views on the event having taken part? I take it you have to dress up to take part in this, just like other Romerias? Any info would be greatly appreciated as my partner and I would like to see if we could take part in this event, this year.

Post subject: Re: Carnival and Festivals in Morro Jable and the south
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm 

A lot of the locals say that San Juan in Cofete is much better than the Carnival.

Its happening this weekend in Cofete - just search for Fiesta de San Juan Cofete. (16,17,18th June)

HOWEVER - they have changed the Romeria which now is only a 4km route (previous 7km route) from the square to Villa Winter and back again..... There is however lots more music and activities scheduled for the whole of the weekend.

We have not seen any comment about transport, so unless you have a car, it may be a rather inaccessible festival (or perhaps this is the point - making it more special?!?)

If you do give it a go - please post back your comments/view of it, as I am sure others would love to know :)

For those in Morro Jable / Jandia there was a bonfire on the beach (Playa de la Cebada) in front of the Rui Hotel Calypso last year, although I haven't seen anything shared on the Pájara webage as yet.