It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying Fresh Milk in Fuerteventura
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:39 pm 

I haven't really had much of a problem before when buying fresh milk, but have seen (on other FB forums/groups) that people are talking a lot about milk going off very quickly or even being off when the buy it.....

Is there a issue at the moment, or perhaps a brand to not go near.... or would it be best to stick to UHT?

Thanks all :)

Post subject: Re: Buying Fresh Milk in Fuerteventura
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:47 am 

In the past the only fresh milk you could get was when it was in season from Gran Canaria. This did turn quickly and would sometimes be 'off' before you even got home.... (I believe open fridge areas didn't help, as they just didn't keep the milk cool enough - either that or somewhere along the journey it wasn't cold enough)

However - now you can get a great selection of fresh milk from Mercadona, Lidl and Hiperdino.

I can only speak for Lidl and Mercadona, but their milk is very fresh and has a good length of life (I've never had either go 'off' on me).

I tend to use UHT for cooking, oats and in tea/coffee, but do use fresh milk in cereals or to drink.....

(You can also freeze the milk, if you have space, saving regular return trips to the larger supermarkets)

Post subject: Re: Buying Fresh Milk in Fuerteventura
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:26 am 

Mercadona is great for fresh milk. Around 80c per litre and you can get full fat and semi skimmed too. I freeze it, so I've always got fresh milk at home.

It's fantastic - a far cry from having to use UHT milk (I don't mind it for tea, but for cereal fresh is sooooo much better) especially when some if it is actually milk powder with loads of added stuff :cry: :cry: :cry:

Never had an issue yet with Mercadonas fresh milk.