It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue Flag Beaches in Fuerteventura for 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:43 am 

For the 2017 season, the following beaches in Fuerteventura have been awarded Blue Flag status;

In La Oliva - Grandes Playas, Charco de las Agujas, Corralejo Viejo (La Goleta) and La Concha in El Cotillo

In Puerto del Rosario - Playa Blanca, Los Pozos and Puerto Lajas

In Pajara - Butihondo

Interesting that Pajara has some of the best beaches on the island (yes, Butihindo/Esquinzo included), yet only one flag..... Although in fairness I do not fully understand the full criteria that a beach must meet to gain a blue flag - even so.... PDR can get three, but Pajara only one???

Post subject: Re: Blue Flag Beaches in Fuerteventura for 2017
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 am 

Whey hey :)

4 in La Oliva - looking forward to visiting them.

Thank you for listing the names of the beaches as well as their muncipalities :)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am 

Apparently Pajara are saying that they may not even apply for Blue Flags next year. They are unhappy that the Blue Flag authority are asking for buoys to be installed at Playa de la Cebada (Morro Jable) and Matorral to prevent fishing boats from coming close to the shore.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 am 

I can't believe they aren't even going to apply.
The Blue Flag is hugely recognisable and seems to make a big difference for people when choosing where to visit.
Pajara has such beautiful beaches that to not have any blue flags seems such a shame; I just hope they won't loose out on visitors because of it.....

(That being said - the less people on the beaches down in the south - the more space for meeeeeeee) :lol: 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:20 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: The Pajara council have called it "the tyranny of the Blue Flag" :lol: :lol: and said that they may not re-apply for blue-flag status as after spending around €300K blue flag have made "unjustified demands" about placing buoys for over 6Kms to stop fishermen coming close to shore - arguing that the fishermen have done so for hundreds of years.

Tyranny of the Blue Flag seems a little colourful - something more suited to a telenovella. Clearly someone at the council is very annoyed indeed and wants to voice that anger!

I understand that no-one in the Canaries wants to mess with fishermen; but at the same time, there is a fair reason for asking for the placement of buoys - it is for the safety of bathers. I am sure those same buoys would also stop excursion boats coming close to shore and restrict the movements of jetskis (that I have noticed myself, come in very close to the beach at the Morro Jable end of Playa de la Cabada).
My partner and I are keen snorkellers and do get concerned about the amount of boats that anchor very close to shore in the Morro Jable area - my partner was once hit by a boat that claimed they didn't see him snorkelling (in SE Asia) - now something like that happening would do the area NO good at all!

Having a Blue Flag Beach doesn't bother me, as I am sure it wouldn't stop many people from visiting - it is however a big deal and a gold stamp of approval for beaches, which does make a difference to some people when booking their holiday.... its one thing to explain why you won't re-apply, but quite another to call it 'tyrannous' or to claim they have 'demands' (I think the correct word would be application criteria) :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am 

Well said Lizzy!