It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beginner Question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:44 pm 
Hi,

I am going to Fuerteventura in March and I would like to do some diving lessons.

Is it possible to do a real dive in the sea within a few days of a lesson, or does it take longer? Do I need to take an exam before I am allowed into the sea.

Sorry if this seems silly, but I really don't know anything about diving.

Post subject: Re: Beginner Question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm 

I know this is an old post and although I don´t dive - I am looking for information on snorkelling in various locations the island. I´m not finding too much online, is there anywhere I can find a bit of information or can any of you guys one the forum point out some good spots.

I´ve read you can see loads of cool stuff when diving, but what about snorkelling, is it limited?

Thank you in advance for your help, as I say, I have looked, but its all about diving....

:P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm 

MermaidK8

- I´ve recently come across this forum for snorkelling locations around the world and there are a few places already listed for the south of the island....
snorkelist . com

You can see plenty of marine life when snorkelling and you don´t HAVE to dive to see it.

As well as going snorkelling on your own (if you have the gear), there are plenty of dive schools and boat excursions that will take you on a snorkel trip too.

Rocky reefs tend to be better than snorkelling out in the middle of a sandy beach - although there is almost always something to see wherever you are.

Hope this helps a little.

- FuerteGuide :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:16 pm 

Thanks,

I have taken a look and there is info out there for Morro Jable, but not too many other places in Fuerteventura. I´ve been looking for info in Costa Calma too..... (if you have any info on that do let me know)

Swimming with Rays looks ACE! Think even if I don´t stay down in Jandia/Morro Jable then maybe I should head down to see if I can see the rays.

Thank you for the suggestion of that forum - I hope more people use it / add to it as it is just what snorkellers need (haven´t found much info out there other than for divers).

Are there any particular dive schools/excursion companies I should look for?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:48 pm 

I don´t dive (problems equalising) so can´t really recommend a specific diving company..... they all have good records here on the island from what I have seen and I am sure if you emailed them directly, they would come back you pretty quickly.... most companies are pretty communicative.

There are a number of excursion companies running too, it depends on what you are looking for. Family fun day out, glass bottom boat, more of a "party" boat, sailing boat etc.....

Quite a few places also hire out kayaks which is a great way to explore too.

Yes the forum will be great, just needs more entries, but I guess thats the way with everything. There are so many ways to share information these days, its the collating it that can be the difficult thing :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 pm 

Ok - Im definitely going to visit Morro Jable to see the rays (and the turtles) and might even rent a kayak too and go exploring the beaches to the south.

Thank you for your help. Im hoping someone else might some back about other snorkelling spots - but I will keep looking on the snorkelist forum too :P

Yeah - too many places for people to go - I´ve tried a few groups on FB but the answers keep dissappearing and then I have to keep scrolling and scrolling. Mayb its just me as Im not that good working things out....

Cheers again

(Anyone else have any info on other snorkelling spots then I would be really gratefull if you could let me know) :P :P :P

Post subject: Re: Beginner Question (Snorkelling, rays and turtles)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:41 am 

This is a little video on the turtle sanctuary :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuL4v0MiBTc

Every so often, when rescued ones are healed, you can join in the beach release and wave the turtle goodbye as it heads out to see. Its ace! Only issue is, its hard to know when its going to happen or where. If we hear of any, we will post it on here.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 am 

Heres a little video on the Rays in the harbour too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6dIx3JT98Y

If you snorkel on the outside of the harbour wall (Morro Jable town side) then you will often see rays. In the last few weeks we have seen a variety of rays, scorpion fish, cuttlefish, needlefish, baby barracuda, crabs, moray eels and garden ells along with the usual parrot fish, damsel fish, green wrasse, breams etc. We even saw a baby angel shark - only because a large ray disturbed its hiding spot in the sand!

Plenty to see in Morro Jable.

(Tip: Head down to the harbour and walk left as soon as you walk into the harbour area, before the Cafeteria...cross the car park and there is a small section where you can walk between the fence and harbour wall - its rocky and best to enter with booties - but its a great jumping off point for snorkelling)